Saturday, November 27, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was not overly ambitious but we got the job done. Dix had found her favorite brand of turkey, Norbest, so she took the original bird down to the Salvation Army, where they acted very grateful since they had not met their donations goal. She started cooking at 4 a.m. and we sat down to eat right at noon. I carved the turkey and broke open a $44 bottle of Chalk Mountain Chardonnay. Dix took over a plate to Nancy across the street piled high enough for two days. Nancy shows the greatest appreciation but does not want to share company, which suits us fine too since she is a bit nonsensical at times and repetitive to boot.

I took Buddy and his three former yard mates for a romp at Morad Park. I was feeling pretty good about them ranging within sight until at the far end when usually they take a dip in the river and I suddenly realized it was partially frozen over. I raced to that point calling their names as I could recollect and just shouting otherwise. Getting their attention I reversed course, darting away to lure them away from danger and back towards the truck. They all eagerly complied. I leashed and loaded three of them, but Sebastien, the most rambunctious one, raced back to a running portion of the river and dove in for an icy rinse. He had no problem getting out and I was thankful for returning with all present, and one clean.

I was rooting for Arizona over the number one Oregon Ducks just hoping for an upset. When Oregon roared back in the second half I was happy too, to see team with the longest hair and freak players go down.

No comments: