Meanwhile I have done the annual homeowner maintenance that I last did four years ago including bleeding all the radiators and draining and recharging the expansion tank (the big Wizard of Oz looking vessel on the right).
Sunday, November 21, 2010
Boilerworks
Retirement Project No. 5: Take advantage of the Energy Credit that pays 30% of installing certain high efficiency appliances up to a $1500 credit. In this old house there are plenty of candidates including our sparse insulation, leaky windows, and 20-year-old water heater. But most urgent is our antique boiler that serves our old-fashioned column radiators. The heat exchanger is quite corroded and therefore inefficient and vulnerable to leaking. I got a $13,500 bid for installing a qualifying high efficiency unit from the turn-key outfit in town. Gus said he could do it for $3,500 in parts by buying off the Internet but I don't have a high confidence level in that. Another outfit in town has yet to provide their proposal but they misidentified our system as a steam system - it's gravity feed hot water - so whatever they propose will be rejected. We are getting a fourth inspection Tuesday and I am hopeful they are qualified and competitive.
Meanwhile I have done the annual homeowner maintenance that I last did four years ago including bleeding all the radiators and draining and recharging the expansion tank (the big Wizard of Oz looking vessel on the right).
Meanwhile I have done the annual homeowner maintenance that I last did four years ago including bleeding all the radiators and draining and recharging the expansion tank (the big Wizard of Oz looking vessel on the right).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment