Saturday, November 13, 2010

TGIF

Saturday is the new Monday. Retirees must compete with the employed - all using their days off for shopping, trash hauling, fishing, golfing, driving. I find the apprehension that was formerly reserved for Monday now spoiling my formerly favorite day Saturday.

My driveway contractor had not responded to my text message and voice mail asking him nicely to bring in some fill dirt and gravel to touch up the alley where he had excavated to connect to the sewer. I called the city road supervisor to look at the condition of the alley. He did and said he would fix it since it wouldn't be too big a job but he would like to find the contractor who didn't complete the job right, i.e., didn't properly compact it. I said I know who did it, my contractor, who I didn't want to get in trouble since he did try. He said that doesn't cut it. It's got to be back to the same condition he found it. He would have a discussion with him. A city grader came through an hour later and load of gravel. My ears may soon be burning from my formerly sweet-talking contractor.

Had a great Friday lunch with my former work cohorts. I was glad to see Les since he seemed to be bummed out during the last days of work. He is making the biggest transition since he is younger by a few years. He has the most to gain by extra retirement years if he can swing it. He kicked it off with a $175 bottle of Cabernet Savignon and a weekend trip to Vegas. Tom has Vegas booked for Thanksgiving. We lunch again next Friday.

I applied for unemployment. You have to earnestly look for work - two contacts per week.

No comments: