The nice day on Friday found me laying down a roll of weed barrier in the alley. In a few more weeks the weeds will be sprouting and this will put an end to the chore of digging them up. I'm burying the traffic edge of the fabric about six inches into the hard pan to anchor it. Burying it deep enough so the city does not rip it when they occasionally grade the alley. About ten feet a day shoveling is about all my back will handle. I'm hoping the snow we had the last two days will soften the ground a bit.
The blustery weather and achiness from shoveling had me reading, napping and using the computer most of the weekend. I located our elk camps using Google Earth and traced our hunting routes on Green Mountain, Grannier Meadows and Indian Ridge. I'm fairly rich in reading materials right now: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - about the first success of culturing human cells for medical research in the 60's given to me by Bro Don for my birthday; Havana Nocturne about the mob in Cuba in the 50's given to me by Les; and Decision Points by G.W. Bush when Dix gets through with it.


Travis and I are planning a Spring Picnic in the Gas Hills to hunt for fossils of amonites deposited in the Sundance Formation (highlighted in green) where it outcrops along Cyclone Ridge, and Belemnites that look like bullets contained within 2-3 foot mudballs. This justifies

the purchase of a geologist's pick to break them open - $34.22 with a five star rating on Amazon and free shipping.

The fresh snow pushes this venture out another couple of weeks but that just allows time for camper preparations and the shipping of the rock hammer. All this from resources on the Internet - a wonderful activity planner.

No comments:
Post a Comment