Friday, January 22, 2010

CC Fraud

We got an email from Amazon.com concerning suspicious on-line purchases totaling $500 or so made with our credit card number. They had automatically frozen the purchases. Pretty efficient of them I think. We canceled our card and they talked me into a new one with a $9 monthly service fee to monitor the three credit agencies. I alerted our bank to the incident and they encouraged me to begin using their debit card. I called our 401k account. Had difficulty answering the security question - in what city was I married. In fact we had to move on to an alternative security question. After confirming no unauthorized activity on the account, I asked her if there was anything I could do to enhance security. She wisecracked I might want to research the answers to the current security questions. Today I figured it out it was not Houston but a little town on the fringe that was not yet annexed back then. I changed the question. Too smart by half I am.

No comments: