Saturday, July 4, 2009
Soggy Bottom
We were marveling at the intensity of this rain storm. Sheet of water were being upthrust over the garage and overflowing the gutters. I looked aghast at the river flowing down the driveway. On the street the storm sewer was a geyser and yards of gravel had washed out from the alley. I thought I ought to check out the basement sewer. It was fine but I heard that terrible sound of water cascading in from the window well and Dix heard the alarm "Flood in the basement!" We went into action moving boxes and sucking up water with with the Bissel. At night I had dreams of city workers spending stimulus money grading the alley and front yard. I got up at 3 a.m. to Bissel up more water from the carpet. All in all, we caught the leaks in time before any boxes or surround-sound speakers got wet. This was the biggest monsoon we've seen in our ten years in Casper. Loren said he's not seen anything like it in his 20 years - 1.3 inches in 20 minutes. He was trying to help out a neighbor with a sump pump with no power. Beefing up the window wells is now on the home improvement list. Higher on the list is adding a couple lateral lengths to the downspouts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment