I spent Friday distributing holiday favors to the landowners. I caught one before he was getting ready to take off in his plane. He was eating his sandwich and was happy to have been given dessert. I caught another that I had previously only known in correspondence. We had a good conversation and laid the ground work for a future right-of-way agreement. I tried a shortcut through the neighboring ranch and got turned back by a locked gate.
My Christmas gift arrived by UPS - a portable XM satellite radio. I tried it out on my walk. It does well so long as I keep an open path to the southern sky. I like the ability to record the entirety of a good bluegrass tune even when pushing the button after the song has started. I can also prerecord right wing radio and fast forward through the obnoxious 888-xxx-xxx commercials. We also got one for the kids in Chicago. It will probably be tuned to the blues and more to the left.
Loren and Dana wanted to come over Friday night but I was still on the road. They came over Sunday. We were conversing about something when Loren kind of blurted out he got the job he had applied for a few months ago. Toasts all around. He had been struggling self employed in welding fabrication and can't wait to begin a good worry-free working-man life with a reputable oil and gas outfit. Dana was beaming for him too. For her news she will be going on a junket to New York City to visit a model school for a day, courtesy of Stimulus Stash that the school system is want to blow on something. She will extend the trip for a tour of Ground Zero and the Met as well. I could not help see the juxtaposition - Loren and his new employer making a new job reviving the economy and Washington pumping how many thousand dollars into "saving" a teaching job for a day. She is a little embarrassed by it but I was consoled that the squander of our tax dollars will at least be enjoyed by someone we know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment