Thursday, December 10, 2009

Road Trip

We just got back from our trip, 7 am. to 7 pm., to and fro Loveland picking up our new car. The salesman did us a nice surprise by having the 535i BMW "gift wrapped" with a sheet and big bow next to a Christmas tree. The closing was fairly painless - we resisted getting an extended warranty, nitrogen in the tires, special wax job, and clear bra (although I had visions of the latter). During our introduction I learned the engine has no oil dipstick which impressed me to no end.

On the way home the crosswinds were blowing snow pretty heavy north of Cheyenne - a tractor trailer had lost control and crashed in the median. I spent two hours trying to get Sirius initiated. I finally pulled off the road to avoid another cellular disconnect after twice holding for an agent only to lose the cell signal just as we were getting satellite connection. A guy at the Guernsey rest stop commented about the new looking car - our first turned head. Dix's blue Beemer is now safely tucked in the garage where it will probably remain until until the streets are dry and clean.

I called the Chris thinking this would be just about the time I would have landed in Chicago had I not canceled my side trip on account of the blizzard in the mid-west. He was in great spirits. He had seen a massive flock of geese in the thousands flying in low off Lake Michigan and called 911 to report this possible hazard to aviation. The attendant chastised him for calling 911 about a wildlife issue. Chris then called the FAA who appeared much more appreciative and put out a flight hazard bulletin to commercial airlines in the area. We talked about a planning a substitute trip later, maybe meeting in Kentucky.

No comments: