This week was hectic with the pouring of our driveway. It's over now so I back up to last weekend when we enjoyed a Greg and Kinsey's wedding reception that Kinsey's folk put on at their country home. Kinsey's horse Silver liked Dix digging in her fingernails. The whole affair was nice and mellow but we did leave before the bonfire.
We renewed acquaintance with Greg's Aunt Barbara, an avid sailboarder and kayaker at age 72. I am resolved to take a sailboarding lesson from her at her home at Lake DeSmet. I asked her if she shoots the whitewater rapids park in Casper and she said, yes, it's fun. The trick is you have to paddle like crazy. That's her with Delores and Kinsey's dog Arnie.And speaking of active seniors, the next day we went to Dessie's 90th birthday celebration. The week before I had the pleasure of the last dance with Dessie at her grandchild's wedding. She knew I was saving her from being upended by the circle dancers. I told her I was looking forward to being at her birthday party next week, and she said "Me too, do or die."
At Dessie's party there were other folks who had reached milestones too - a 90-year-old guy who looked like 70, and this delightful centenarian who moved from Michigan to Riverton in 1978, same year we did. We both remembered the "winter of 82 (or so)". I told her I went to Notre Dame and she said she dated a tight end who played for Knute Rockne.
We got back to Casper and found the deer had pretty much camped out in the back yard while we were gone. I tamped down their hoof prints in the compacted base before Monday's cement pour. The scarecrow I erected before we left had absolutely no effect on them. It did startle me though every time I looked out the back door.
The pour was hectic with five guys chain shoveling the cement, passing it out to the reaches. They may be doing a repeat at the garage where the drainage got screwed up. I got really aggravated about that, but I shouldn't be since it is their problem to fix, not mine.
Mama Squirrel memorialized her prints in the cement at the back door step.Hallie left a message that the dogs would really like to walk, so Sunday morning I took the four of them for a romp at the dog park. I am not constantly taking role call any more - I know they always manage to reappear. Somehow they know I am their guardian out of all the dog walkers that come and go. Having lived with man for eons, dogs have very good facial recognition skills.

No comments:
Post a Comment