Thursday, September 18, 2008

Things Going On in the Night

Tonight Pyrite again woke us at 1 am. Half asleep I decided to dispose of a slippery throw rug that had lost its rubberized backing. I walked out the back door thinking no one would be up to see that I was in my skivvies at this time of the night. Not so - I came face to face with Mr. Four-Point Buck. He was frozen in the security light and stayed long enough for me to go back inside, alert Dix, and fumble awhile with the camera trying to get a high ISO and suppressed flash. At this point he calmly walked off and hopped the fence into the neighbor's back yard to bed down. I could go out and take a flash photo of him but will just let him rest in peace... and I don't feel like getting dressed. I've got to believe these night-time visitors are what gets Pyrite up and moving in the first place.

The latest issue of the Game and Fish's Wyoming Wildlife has a good article on scat identification entitled Poop Primer. I knew we were cutting edge with reading sign in the back yard despite the scoffing of some.

No comments: