Thursday, January 17, 2008

Spook's Bedpan

With his diabetic condition, Spook has been drinking (and peeing) about a cup and a half a day. This converts to about four of five pounds of kitty litter per day and I am developing an aversion to kitty litter period. So, I've been trying alternative systems. The first was pea gravel in the litter box, emptied and rinsed daily. That was back breaking and stinky. Dix said something was smelling in the basement whereupon I had to tell her there was some experimenting going. One thing about kitty litter is that they put something in it to deodorize the waste.

Stage two - I bought an oil change pan at Auto Zone for $10. It has a sloped top to catch the oil which drains into the integrated tank. I put some kitty litter on top to give Spook the right idea and he did. The excess did work its way to the drain but the kitty litter became a gross paste that also plugged the drain - another flop.

Stage three - currently in progress - is the oil pan with a grate, no kitty liter. In order to get him used to the grate, I have a thin layer of swamp cooler pad wired to the top. He bought it. The pee went straight down through the pad into the hermetically sealed subcontainer. There will be a few hard product issues to work out.

1 comment:

Stephen's Pictures said...

Get a patent attorney. This concept could have legs.