
We missed the judge in elk camp this year as he was still recouping from back surgery. Travis was a little lame too from some lingering hip ailment. He might be on the cusp of resolving it after having given up the statin drug he was using to treat cholesterol. I recommended he begin taking red yeast rice instead. Davy said he wants him to get some massage therapy after camp.
The weather was beautifully mild with the aspen in peak yellow and orange.
Davy and I spent more time hiking than riding. We encountered several moose but no elk. One cow moose was entertaining because she began following us down a trail towards a marsh. When we realized she was behind us, we stopped to assess a defensive position. She simply went around us about 50 feet and overtook us on the trail. If I had a moose license, I would not have had the heart to shoot her.
Davy provided us with sweet and sour shrimp that was worth waiting for as he forgot one of the ingredients last year. All three of us suffered from the cooking one evening, either from undercooked eggs or soapy dishes as near as we could figure.
I took a chance and left the generator at home, banking solely on the solar panel which is now mounted on the roof. The batteries seemed to have been adequately recharged from day to day but since I neglected to bring my voltmeter, I never knew how much cushion I had, if any. Next time I'll bring both for insurance and assurance.
Camp music was provided by my portable satellite XM radio, themed by bluegrass, Willie and Sinatra, until the radio fell off the windowsill (while I was messing with it) and into my coffee cup. Rinsing it with water fixed the scrolling wheel but the menu button seems to be shorted out. Now at home, I checked with Chris and he will mail me the radio we gave him for Christmas two years ago that he no longer uses.
A predicted storm drove all hunters off the mountain. It dumped some snow even in Casper. Now with the weather clearing up, I'm planning to do a short redux while the hunting season is still open. Dix is not interested so maybe Travis and/or Davy will join me.
Davy and I spent more time hiking than riding. We encountered several moose but no elk. One cow moose was entertaining because she began following us down a trail towards a marsh. When we realized she was behind us, we stopped to assess a defensive position. She simply went around us about 50 feet and overtook us on the trail. If I had a moose license, I would not have had the heart to shoot her.
Davy provided us with sweet and sour shrimp that was worth waiting for as he forgot one of the ingredients last year. All three of us suffered from the cooking one evening, either from undercooked eggs or soapy dishes as near as we could figure.I took a chance and left the generator at home, banking solely on the solar panel which is now mounted on the roof. The batteries seemed to have been adequately recharged from day to day but since I neglected to bring my voltmeter, I never knew how much cushion I had, if any. Next time I'll bring both for insurance and assurance.
Camp music was provided by my portable satellite XM radio, themed by bluegrass, Willie and Sinatra, until the radio fell off the windowsill (while I was messing with it) and into my coffee cup. Rinsing it with water fixed the scrolling wheel but the menu button seems to be shorted out. Now at home, I checked with Chris and he will mail me the radio we gave him for Christmas two years ago that he no longer uses.
A predicted storm drove all hunters off the mountain. It dumped some snow even in Casper. Now with the weather clearing up, I'm planning to do a short redux while the hunting season is still open. Dix is not interested so maybe Travis and/or Davy will join me.

No comments:
Post a Comment