Saturday, March 20, 2010

No Traction

Tom said he and Bess are still learning the functions of their new Cadillac. Bess was showing it off to here sewing circle when the snowstorm was starting. One of her friends who also had a Cadillac showed her a button to press for driving in the snow. When she got home, Tom reviewed the owner's manual and told her that button deactivates the 4 wheel drive, and to tell her knitting friend she was all wet. Har de har. However, as he related the story to me I told him that didn't sound quite right, that maybe the button deactivates the electronic braking stability control, which one would want to do when trying to power through slippery conditions. I told him to reread his owner's manual that night before opening another bottle of wine.

So I am reading my Chevy owner manual and I was right, except that in the 36 months I have owned this vehicle, I have always thought the button turns the stability controller ON, not off. So in retrospect this would explain two past events of getting stuck. One time on Casper Mountain I had to have someone pull us out of a snow bank when it seemed the truck just bogged down when trying to rock the vehicle. That's what the button was for! - to disable the stability control from applying selective braking to the wheels to control a perceived skid. Likewise when I was trying to back my camper up a tight slippery incline one time in hunting camp. I remember thinking what a dog this six-cylinder engine was, when in fact I now realize the stability control was defeating my maneuvers and inspiring the catcalls of my hunting partners.

So as I giggle with the thought Tom has reread his manual by now, and eaten the crow served by his wife, I will have to admit to him on Monday that I learned something too.

No comments: