Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Miracle Doctor

Ever since I went along with the parlor game of taking pulse rates at Don and Steve's birthday celebration, I have been worried about my cardiovascular health. Everyone was counseling me that the high 80's was too high. So I did my self-diagnosis Internet due diligence and rationalized it was due to alcohol consumption and social stress. However, not content with letting sleeping dogs lie, I began taking my blood pressure, which showed a range in the150's over high 80's. When it would not come down even after abstaining from alcohol for a couple days, I made an appointment with my GP. First of all he told me us older folk can normally range 80 to 100 beats per minute. Then he took my BP and it was 122/70. Just like taking a car to a mechanic and the symptoms of something wrong suddenly disappear. He asked me how I determine my BP and I told him by using our handy dandy Omron BP monitor. He said bring it in and we will check it. I started having my suspicions when I saw the plug had fallen out of the wall outlet (can you say Milo?) and the thing had been operating on weak battery power. Back at the doctor's office, Nurse Ratchet was on one arm (130/75) and my monitor was on the other (160/88). Plugging in the BP monitor to the wall socket, it reproduced results within a few units of the nurse. That will be $80 for the doctor visit, please.

No comments: