Saturday, August 27, 2011

Chicago comes to Wyoming


I kinda feel like it was an accomplishment. We pulled off a great visit with the Chicago clan. The best times were the ones we didn't plan. Benjamin instantly bonded with Buddy. They slept together and Ben asked if we could ship Buddy to Chicago for a visit.

Chris and Ben and I went to the store for juice and came back with an air pistol. This one shoots 400 feet per second and is accurate enough to hit a pigeon at 50 feet. Ben shot three in a row. The environmentally friendly pellets did not penetrate but they certainly freaked them out. I was happy to inherit the pistol as it could not be imported to Chicago.


I had planned an early morning canoe trip but they slept in. It was getting pretty warm by nine o'clock and so I had written it off, but Chris said "I thought we were going to go boating?" We lashed the canoe to the car and Chris, Ben and I were off to the river in record time. The current moved us along so we didn't need to paddle and we enjoyed ice-cold Heineken. We had to ditch the empty cans before going home in respect for Joan's concern for our safety. Ben later ratted on us and that brought into question whose confidence he valued the highest.


We visited Dave and Marilyn and their grandkids at their cabin in Story. Again the unplanned activities were the most memorable. Chris spent more time than any of the kids in the cold creek - said he was passively burning calories.

We had good wine and bad. The $6 Rex-Goliath (with a 30-pound rooster on the label) was undrinkable until Chris masterfully blended it with a so-so Pinot Noir.

The kids caught fish and constructed a side pool for their own hatchery. Marilyn made them turn them loose. We panned for gold but only got black iron. Zeke the white kitten and Daisy the arthritic Retriever went missing for awhile after the gold expedition and we all rejoiced after Marilyn rounded them up with the ATV.

We put up the wall tent but no one slept in it. The cats caught dragonflies. Milo purified himself in the ash pile.


No comments: