Saturday, July 10, 2010

Big Horn Bluegrass

Finally got to see the Big Horn Mountain Festival. We drove up to Buffalo Friday afternoon and took in five bands. The pollen was giving my eyes a pretty good itching at this outdoor venue at the fairgrounds. The bands were a bit heavy on the male vocals - more shout than harmony. And the sound system was unnecessarily loud. I turned down my hearing aids and Dix plugged her ears with tissue. A Wyoming talent from Ten Sleep puts out an entertaining mix of folk, rock and Bluegrass but he has a local following of groupies (and their undisciplined kids) that are a distraction in their bid for attention. The headliner was the Grascals, a pretty good group associated with Dolly Parton. It was nice of the guitarist and banjo player to ham it up for me while taking a picture. We stayed at a new Hampton Inn. The room was quiet and the bed very comfortable.

The next day we drove to Sheridan and looked at some real estate at the Powder Horn golf community where a fellow landman lives in a townhouse. Beautiful but not our type of community. We ended up in Big Horn and toured the Bradford Brinton Memorial & Museum with its collection of Remington paintings. We liked one of a stagecoach at night. We looked at a print but it was no comparison to the original - too bright. Photoshopping cheapened it.

We stopped in at Story and visited Dave and Marilyn. Checked out his new stove for hunting camp. He had completely set up his wall tent to make sure the stove pipe properly went through the roof. I think his setting up the tent is therapeutic, like when I poke around inside my parked camper. Wildlife at their cabin was abundant - deer, turkeys, humming birds. The male hummingbirds were screeching for their pecking order, even trying to intimidate the humans. Davey talks gruff to them and one of them gets in his face. His big cat Missy reminded us of Spook the way she accepts loving for awhile and then gets feisty.

Dix and I took turns sleeping on the way home. This one-day overnight trip wiped me out and I could not understand why until I remembered it also included working at the office on Friday.

No comments: