Sunday, October 26, 2008

Plumbing

The clerk at Home Depot was so very helpful and informed. What a difference a little competition (Menard's) down the block makes. He convinced me that the bathroom faucet I was to purchase would be remarkably easy to install. So, after sitting in the box for a week in the bathroom, I gave it a try. This was after feeling totally unproductive after watching two football games. And I decided to get Dix involved too, something we could do together. True the installation was a breeze, however, as usual with a 90-year-old house, the destructing of the old equipment was the problem. The old drain plug and stopper assembly was the challenge - frozen in place and with the fixture glued to the wall, nearly impossible to apply a wrench to. And my plumber apprentice with absolutely no mechanical dexterity was dangerous with a wrench in the vicinity of porcelain. Today both of us are tending strained muscles but the faucet is installed. The bonus benefit that became apparent to me is I no longer have to bend over to wash my hands since the spout is a few inches higher.

No comments: