Friday, June 13, 2008

Challenging the BLM

As if it's not enough that other companies are trying to jump our mining claims, the BLM is also nipping at my heels about whether I have adhered to their regulations in staking mining claims. I hate when they send me certified mail challenging whether their procedures were followed and then giving me thirty days to respond before they void the claims. At times I have simply restaked claims rather than to waste time defending them but today I filed two appeals as a matter of principle. I think I know more about real life application of the mining law than a beaurocrat behind a desk. They don't have time to process a right-of-way application (going on two years for one of mine) but they do have time to obsess on how claim filings were postmarked, recorded, noticed, monumented, mapped, etc. I may have the honor of making precedents on two issues - whether it is legal to amend the date of location of a mining claim, and whether a claim can be amended to include split-title land.

No comments: