Linda from across the street called for help hanging some new sheers she bought from Penny's. Her old drapes were giving her
claustrophobia. Linda retired from the Game and Fish this year. She has already taken two cruises and buzzes out the alley nearly every day on some hike or health club trip. A real inspiration for activity, but turns out she is mechanically helpless. Since the sheers were all wrinkled from shipping, we suggested she iron them first but she had given away her iron and ironing board at retirement. We invited her to use ours but after five minutes she firmly decided to take them to the dry cleaners. The next day she called disgusted that the pressing cost more than she paid for the sheers and one of them turned out to be defective. I put up the good one for her and she was relieved to have the project half over with. She does not seem to mind that sheers don't provide much privacy at night, not that it matters to me.
After three weeks my mason is finally done. He decided to finish the job with a helper that seemed to be there mainly to complete the second half of a conversation. He thought the job was done when I reminded him he still needed to plug the hole in the chimney in the basement. He had totally forgotten that main part of the job and needed to get bricks and more mortar. I was very happy to see this job done without him falling off the roof or creating any more of a mess than than could be cleaned up with a broom and dust pan.
The carpet laying on the front step is in limbo. It looks good unless you look closely, which I pointed out to the business manager. I told him he could have the bubbles fixed or make an adjustment. I have not heard back for almost a week and for now I'm assuming he is foregoing the second half of the payment.
No comments:
Post a Comment