Friday, December 2, 2011

Tinkering

I smell good! White liniment to the rescue of my bum heel. It's been sore for a couple weeks - probably from breaking in a new pair of shoes. I also had a scary zing of nerve pain from a tooth - the one, I think, that had a root canal a year ago. No problem since that one unexplainable intense zing. Thanking the Lord for well being otherwise.

My new Equus 3721 Battery System Monitor came. This simple $13 voltage tester conveniently plugs into a cigarette voltage outlet and displays the battery voltage to the hundredth of a volt. All I need to know is 12.7+ volts = full charge; 12.0 volts = half charge. I test in the morning after any surface charge has dissipated overnight and before the solar panel begins recharging. I have the solar panel raised to 70 degrees off horizontal to snag the weak rays that are skipping over this wintry Wyoming landscape. Between the tree shadows and short days, I'm still able to recover 0.3 volts per day. That allows me to not have to disconnect and carry the 60-pound batteries indoors for the winter and the camper is functional at any time.

The 2-day trip to Denver was productive. Got the Beemer serviced, the TV-room speakers refoamed, and the Castle Rock area scoped out and written off as not suitable for retirement living. It's more of a bedroom community for the Denver Tech Center. Got back to Casper before the snow started flying. We found the pet sitter was not up to standards. Buddy pooped in the living room and the sitter apparently could not figure out how the carper cleaner works. The sitter was dismissed. I felt we could have simply not called him again, but Dix felt a need to ceremoniously fire him.

No comments: