Tuesday, July 1, 2008

BUY!

Got our stimulus check today and ordered our camera. Had been waiting for the price to go down but suddenly it went up $5, maybe to cover the cost of "free shipping". So essentially I waited a month to pay $5 more. Oh, well. The camera is a Fuji F100FD. A compact camera that will fit in a shirt pocket but with a large CCD sensor - the same sensor as an SLR. This supposedly allows not crowding pixels and producing less noise. And the pixels are arrayed to pick up both light and dark images in the same shot to allow detail in shadows while not overexposing bright areas. Fuji specializes in high ISO as a method of stabilizing images but now has CCD-shift image stabilization in addition. I hope the high ISO capability will allow taking low light scenes without a flash to get more natural color. I am sacrificing super telephoto (only 5X) for 28 mm wide angle and more light gathering capability. We shall see.

Had an absolute downpour tonight. Looking across the street I see the downspout extension I installed to prevent flooding in Nancy's basement has been disconnected, presumably by the landlord's handyman who was probably engineering a different fix. Well let them deal with soggy carpet this time. Mr. Peepers can't take care of everyone all the time.

No comments: