
The annual elk hunt was based at Granier Meadow this year, near the South Pass of the Wind River Mountains. Camp was 21st century style with the addition of my 21-foot Outback camper and the removal of the Daniel Boone wall tent. Some folk from Texas were using tents and tarps and we looked down on them like they were cavemen. Here we were with indoor plumbing, although Chief Don never could bring himself to use it, opting for squatting in the woods instead.
The Chief proposed a run up to Lake Gustave on the four-wheelers to catch a few Brookies. Two hours later we were still bashing over the washed out trail. Davie's drive chain had stretched out a full chain link, hence his new moniker "Clicketyclack". And then the Chief decided the wind was not blowing right for fishing.

The next day Davie and I put in a respectable hunt at Sioux Pass. We saw a couple elk tracks, bear scat and a tree clawed by a mountain lion. Don sat at the trail head, smoking, and saw the only elk of the trip - a cow and calf. On the way back down, I was assigned the lead with the mandate to watch for Blue Grouse. True to my mission I pointed one out for Don who whipped out his shotgun but couldn't find the bird despite my pointing it out over his shoulder and Davie shouting "SHOOT IT! SHOOT IT!" As the bird starting confidently walking off, Davie took over the gun and dispatched it. As we had done our part, Don graciously cleaned the bird.

We used the Weber grill and lid seated over a fire ring for barbecues. In this shot I was observing from inside the camper out of the cooking smoke. Don was flustered because he had promised the wives not to smoke in the trailer, yet I was enjoying the privilege of smoking a Macaduro Maduro cigar.


No comments:
Post a Comment